Welcome to M∙A∙C Playland, a funtastical wonderland where spring becomes a fabulous whirlwind of creativity and amusement. Make merry in luscious shades of Lipstick and Lipglass in playful pinks, brilliant purples and bright corals, and toy around with a carousel of Casual Colour pots in neon orange and hot pink. Pigments offer the promise of leisure and mirth, and Chromagraphic Pencil adds a cascade of colour to this season’s most fun-packed fantasy..
We were sent three pieces of this collection so that’s what I’ll comment on, but the rundown on the entire collection, follows
Lipglass ($16.00) is a cult favorite from MAC. It is a lip gloss available in a wide variety of colors with patent leather shine. You can wear it alone, or over something like, like a lip filled in with a Lip Pencil or Lipstick, This Lipglass is known for shine, bvt it also has good for your lips ingredients like Jojoba Oil to help soften and condition the lips. Tinted Lipglass is packaged in a round, clear tube, with a wanded applicator with sponge tip applicator . Live It Up” is semi-opaque and pastel, so it’s wearable. It is bright but not orange/bright so anyone can wear it. We also tried “pure Silliness” that is best suited to cool skin tones ala. Nikki Minaj, It showed up on my warm skin as bright hot pink that is almost magenta and very light. MAC has often focused on very light, cool toned colors which remind me of Nikki’s makeup choices (she is a MAC spokeswoman/model) but they need to be tested before you end up with a color that looks great in the tube but not on you. These limited edition shades might translate quite differently on your skin. Try, play, buy!
I was also sent an Amplified Creme Lipstick (Limited Edition $16.00 that is new to the Playland Collection for 2014. Toying Around (second from the right) is looks and is billed as a a hot coral, but it’s not quite pure coral. it is more like a bold, bright orange/pink. It’s a great way to try the orange trend though, because it has enough pink in it not to look like a bright orange. The formula is opaque and luxuriously silky on the lips, but exfoliate first, because the coverage can be a bit spotty if your lips aren’t in perfect shape.
Like what you see? There’s a lot more to “play” with in this collection. Here’s the rundown:
Pigment ($21.00 U.S. / $25.00 CDN)
- Ever So Yellow: Soft yellow with pearl (Limited Edition)
- Hi-Def Cyan: Cyan blue (PRO)
- Neo-Orange: Intense neon salmon (PRO)
- Golden Olive: High frosted green-gold (Permanent)
Chromagraphic Pencil ($16.00 U.S. / $19.00 CDN) (Permanent at PRO)
- Genuine Orange: Bright orange
- Hi-Def Cyan: Hi-def cyan
- Process Magenta: Matte magenta
- Black Black: Deepest black
Lipstick ($16.00 U.S. / $19.00 CDN) (Limited Edition)
- Playland: Frosted yellow gold (Frost)
- Sweet Experience: Bright pink (Amplified)
- Happy-Go-Lucky: Hot pink (Amplified)
- Toying Around: Hot coral pink (Amplified)
- Red Balloon: Hot fuchsia (Amplified)
- Head in the Clouds: Red with pearl (Frost)
Lipglass ($15.00 U.S. / $18.00 CDN) (Limited Edition)
- Bright Side: Creamy yellow
- Lots of Laughs: Creamy peach
- Carousel: Creamy pink
- Live It Up: Creamy orange
- Pure Silliness: Creamy lilac
Casual Color ($21.00 U.S. / $25.00 CDN) (Limited Edition)
- For Your Amusement: Bright pastel pink
- Young at Heart: Bright pink
- Hi Jinks!: Bright coral
MAC Playland is available online and in stores and at MAC makeup counters April 17t through May 29th.