WÜSTHOF Traveler Sets Take You to New Culinary Places!
By Alison Blackman, Editor in Chief, advicesisters.com
When I was thinking about the best gift for father’s day, for a graduate, for a wedding gift, for a pampered host/hostess, or for you, the gourmet who likes good tools when cooking here there and everywhere, I couldn’t think of anything better than a WÜSTHOF 7 Piece Traveler Set.
WÜSTHOF is known for high quality, high performance knives, and there are beautiful blades in this set, so although it is called a “Traveler Set,” I wouldn’t try to get it past the TSA, but if you are traveling by boat, bus, car, or camper, or planning a “glamping” trip, this clever set featuring three must-have knives, handy all purpose shears, a blade sharpener, and a corkscrew, can make all your plans, just a bit more “glam.” Tucked into a beautiful travel bag, this is an impressive gift, and a fabulous find to take on picnics, to cook-outs, and of course, camping. Keep it by your outdoor grill, and you’ll always have the tool you need to cook with class!
Inside the Inside the hard-sided box you’ll find a black, nylon, zippered case (12 1/2″ x 6 1/4″ x 1 1/4″) that looks a bit like a makeup brush case, only it has reinforced sides. Open it up and there are three elastic pockets with a flap over them on one side, a separate knife holder and three elastic loops on the other side.
The three knives are crafted by the famed WÜSTHOF of Germany (the corkscrew, shears, sharpener and case are made in China). Each of the knives is precision-forged from a single piece of sturdy high-carbon steel that resists stains and corrosion. Wüsthof’s Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) ensures a 20% sharper blade with twice the edge retention. The knives have full tangs that are triple riveted to the handles for durability and control, and the handles are make of durable polymer, contoured for a good grip. The knife sharpener is small but effective, with carbide and ceramic notches for two-stage sharpening.
What’s so nice about this set is that you have the basic tools any chef would want at home or on the road, at the ready, and in a slim, pack-able case. It’s impressive when you pull out this case and open it up at a cookout or picnic, but it is practical too! Everything stays in it’s place, clean and safe and ready to use. Keep it in your camper, your car, your beach house and you will always be ready for that impromptu event!
- 3 1/2″ paring knife: 3 1/2″-long blade, 3 1/2″-long handle; 2.5 oz.
- 6″ chef’s knife: 6″-long blade, 4 1/2″-long handle; 6 oz.
- 5″ serrated utility knife: 5″-long blade, 4″-long handle; 2.5 oz.
- Waiter’s corkscrew: 4 1/2″ long.
- Kitchen shears: 4″ long; 4 oz.
- Key chain knife sharpener: 2″ x 2 1/2″; 1 oz.
- Tip: These are tools you’ll want to keep for a long time. I’d suggest washing the knives, corkscrew and shears by hand with warm water and a mild detergent. It’s best to dry them immediately. Do your best not to put them in a dishwasher! You can wash the travel case and sharpener with a damp cloth. The little sharpener is good for intermediate use, but use a honer once or twice a year and that’s all you really need to keep the knives really sharp (or have them sharpened by a professional). If you don’t keep the knives in the case, store them in a knife block or get sheaths for them. Never store your sharp knives jumbled into a drawer– it’s bad for the knives and you might cut yourself (*I’ve done this more than once trying to pull a knife out of a stack).
- There is a lifetime Manufacturer’s warranty. WÜSTHOF makes all sorts of wonderful knives. It has been under the management of the family since 1814. There are two versions: The WÜSTHOF of Classic 7 Piece Traveler Cultery Set I have detailed lists for about $400 but it is selling online and in retail stores like Williams Sonoma for about $199.00. It’s a bargain! A second, similar set set for $99 is the WÜSTHOF Gourmet 7 Piece Gourmet Traveler High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife Set . For more information on WÜSTHOf visit the WÜSTHOf Web Site