Why I Love SWEAT and 7 Must-Have Sunblock Safety Tips
By Alison Blackman
I love Sweat!
The Advice Sisters Beauty and Style always include a lot of sun protection reviews on our website, but one of our best suncare features included a novel twist up brush SPF mineral sun protection formula created by 5 female athletes called Sweat Cosmetics.
If you’re not sweating, it’s still the perfect product to dust on after makeup to protect yourself on a daily basis. *If you have a peel or laser treatment, this sun protection won’t irritate your skin.
Now There’s a New Sweat!
But there is a new way to wear Sweet — the Sweat Mineral Foundation SPF 30 ($48) in a shaker jar.
The formula is the same as that in the twist brush packaging,
It has the same natural ingredients still free of oils, fragrance, silicone and parabens.
Press down on the mesh inset in the middle and the powder comes up on your brush or puff.
Active Physical Sunblock Ingredients
The active ingredients are natural including 16% Zinc Oxide in the clear version (stick) and 20% Zinc Oxide in the tinted versions.
Then there’s also Vitamin E, milk thistle, and Rhodiola Rosea plus milk thistle for antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that aids in DNA repair after the skin has been exposed to the sun.
Vitamin E extract increases the efficacy of active sunscreen ingredients, retains moisture, and strengthens the skin’s barrier.
This makeup (if you can call this super-sunblock a makeup) is hypoallergenic and dermatologist approved, with an 80-minute water and sweat resistant window.
It’s also cruelty-free, It even has vegan-friendly packaging,
5 Shades to Suit Every Skin Tone
As with the Sweat Cosmetics twist version, there are 5 shades:
We tried #100 (fair to light) and #200 Light to Medium but there’s also #300 olive to tawny, #400 deep and $500 very deep.
You can use it on bare skin (the tints are very sheer) or under or over makeup to help set it.
The new Mineral Foundation Powder Jar is available exclusively at SweatCosmetics.com
Other Sweat Cosmetics products are available at SweatCosmetics.com and Sephora.com
BONUS! 7 Sunblock “Fails”
No matter how good your sunblock is, it won’t work if you don’t wear it properly.
Here are some sunscreen protection “fails” –avoid them at all costs!
1, You keep your sunblocks on the shelf and forget to use them. Sunblock can’t help protect your skin if it’s in the bottle and not on your skin. Take it out and use it!
2. You don’t pick the right sunblock for your skin type. There are physical and chemical sun blocks (see the chart below).
Some people are sensitive to some of the ingredients in either or both. Read the labels and make sure you select products that please your senses and don’t irritate your skin. Make sure the products have UVA AND UVB (full spectrum) protection.
These are the common ingredients used in common sunscreens. The three at the bottom are for sensitive skin/mineral-based
3. Your Sunscreen is OLD. If the last time you bought a sunblock was three years ago, it’s already less effective than it was back then. Anything older than a year should be tossed. if a product has changed consistency, color or smell, ditch it immediately.
4. You use sunscreen in the morning, and that’s it. Your skin can’t protect you all day as it’s only rated for a certain amount of time. After 30 or 80 minutes (or whatever is advised on the label) you need to re-apply it.
5. You apply a thimbleful because you think it’s enough. NO IT ISN’T! You need at least a tablespoon-full for each part of your body. You need to apply it 15-30 minutes before you go out.
6. You forget your hands, ears, hairline, feet, etc. Take them for granted at your own risk. These are places that are exposed all the time.
Those who are balding must use sunblock or a hat. Sunglasses help too (make sure they are good quality, not scratched and have polarized lenses).
7. It’s cloudy so you don’t apply sunblock. WRONG! The sun’s rays are out there even on cloudy or cold days.